Saturday, June 15, 2013

Trolleyed.

Trolleyed (adj.) - Drunk.  I was told that adding "ed" to any noun means drunk.  I never tested out that information.  "Oh,  I drank too much... I was so trolleyed last night!"



KIPLIN HALL TRIP 2013


There is an eerily similar feeling tingling down my spine, a feeling once experienced about nine months ago on the eve of my departure from the US of A.  This trip is a bit different, but no less exciting by any means.  I've been wanting to go on this trip since I heard about it in the Fall of 2010, a wide-eyed wee bambino fresher in Dr. Gillin's English 101 class.  Since then, I've taken his History of English Literature I class and his Romanticism class (my favorite!).  I
will take his 19th Century Novel class next fall, and he also will be my thesis advisor next year.  So, to say it simply, I am a fan.  I have heard nothing but great things from this program (words that quickly come to mind are challenging, life-changing, fun, incredible, etc.).  

I never planned on going to Kiplin, which is a pretty strange thing to say.  I wanted to study abroad in England, so last summer, I was working to earn spending money for the duration of my stay.  Only Lord knows how many hours I spent hostessing at dear ol' Harry's Oyster Bar in Atlantic City.  I couldn't afford (literally) to lose three weeks out of the summer, plus I figured I would be going to England anyway in the fall.  But as the residual post study abroad feelings increased, the itch to travel increased simultaneously.


One day, probably in late February, my friend Claire was talking about getting her "Kiplin Hall info in," or something like that.  I'm fairly certain my response was an abrupt, "EEEEEK!" or an incomprehensible yell, coupled with a punch in the arm.  I had
no idea that she was going.  "WHAT?!"  THEN Claire said (quite calmly, I might add), "Yeah, there are still spots available if you want to go."

I immediately emailed Dr. Gillin, and took one of the remaining spots available.  Yes, I drained my bank account, and yes, I have no regrets (even before the trip).  This might be indulgent to go twice in one year, but I figured if I were to go, I would want to go
before I graduated so the credits would still count towards my major.  Also, a little indulgence every now and then never hurt anyone... right?  Mine just happens to be in the form of an academic course via trip to England.  

I just finished packing... it looks a bit different from when I had to pack for three months.  I'm now a fan of packing light (cue flashback to the nightmare of navigating through the London Underground with suitcases on suitcases on suitcases), so it wasn't too difficult.  


My next three weeks!
I read a quote the other day by Jack Kerouac that resonated with me.  I would type it out, but I just found this pretty picture instead:


...going to do just that.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hilary,

    My name is KC Owens; I’m a college student who loves to travel! While cruising the Internet, I found your site and really enjoyed reading your posts. Personally, I think traveling is a necessary part of life as you’re exposed to all sorts of new cultures and experiences. While enjoying time abroad, I've found it's crucial to fully understand the dangers that you might encounter along the way. These mishaps are part of life and certainly part of travel but it’s always a great idea to take preventive measures to help ensure your safety while abroad.

    I was hoping that you would allow me to write a post for your site to share my travel safety tips with your readers? I put a lot of time and passion into my traveling and I would love to help others by offering safety advice as a result of the mistakes and triumphs I've had. I look forward to hearing from you!

    Best,

    KC Owens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, hello!
    I would be delighted to help you in any way! I'll be frequenting blogger yet again to record my recent English endeavors... so, whenever you send me the information, I'll be happy to help!
    Thank you so much for reading... I'll be sure to check out your blog as well. :)

    Regards,

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete